The Business Advisory Centres (BAC) of NBSSI are responsible for the provision of the non-financial services. The BAC is the extension office of the NBSSI which ensures easy access to all relevant information, training and guidance that would make the entrepreneur an all-rounded, competent and confident person. We focus on four areas that are crucial to the development of small business:
The services provided by NBSSI falls into two broad categories:
Facilitating access to an enabling environment through:
- Provision of relevant information
- Explanation of government policies and procedures and helping the entrepreneur fulfil all regulatory requirements
- Provision of information to entrepreneurs on incentives and investment opportunities
- Provision of information on sources of support
- Provision of a platform to enable them exhibit their products
Facilitating access to credit through:
- Provision of advice and direction
- Provision of information on sources of funding and facilitation of access of MSEs to credit
- Support to improve and streamline entrepreneur’s accounting and business records.
- Credit delivery and recovery.
Training and counselling in:
- Management development skills
- Good Marketing practices
- Identification of local and foreign markets
- Choice of equipment
- Business plan preparation
- Follow up MSEs who have been trained/counselled to monitor performance and help find solutions to problems on site
Some of our specific training programmes are:
- Training of Trainers Workshops, for associations
- Entrepreneurship Awareness and Information Seminars, especially for the unemployed and students of tertiary institutions
- New Business Creation Programmes (mainly for potential entrepreneurs)
- Business survival seminars such as Technical Workshops and Management Seminars
- Leadership Workshops, especially for associations
- Gender specific programmes for women
Support to business associations:
- Promoting and strengthening of MSE business associations
- Training of executives and members to strengthen their operational capabilities
- Helping associations to determine their goals and objectives, and draft byelaws that are in the interest of members.
Financial services offered by NBSSI include extending credit through our loan schemes to entrepreneurs for both working capital and the acquisition of fixed assets. Interest rate on loans granted by NBSSI is not above 20% and repayments are by monthly instalments to ease the burden of loan repayment in enterprises.
Borrowers are usually granted between two to four months grace period. Personal guarantors are accepted as security since MSEs do not usually have collateral security.
Beneficiaries are encouraged to open accounts with the bank and transact their business, especially the loan repayment, through the bank so that they get acquainted with the banking culture.
NBSSI currently runs two types of credit schemes:
NBSSI/EDAIF Credit scheme(New scheme)
- Loan Amount: GHc3,000.00-GHc10,000.00
- Repayment period: 1- 3 years
- Moratorium: Usually fixed assets acquisition loans enjoy between two (2)-three (3) months depending on type of project while working Capital one (1) – two (2) months maximum.
- Interest Rate:5%
- Documentation: Loan Application, Guarantee, Guarantors and Deed Agreement forms are completed by the Regional Secretariat.
- Must be an existing or start-up business
- Must be engaged in the Manufacturing, Services and Agro processing activities excluding primary agriculture.
- Must operate a business in export and value addition ventures.
- Must be registered with the Board(NBSSI)
- Must be registered with the Registrar General’s Department or Department of Cooperatives
- Must be operating a business account.
- Must be of a sound mind.
- Must have known address/fixed premise of operation.
- Must have no encumbrance on the assets for which the loan is required.
- Must purchase an NBSSI loan application form
- Must apply for the facility/loan
- Must either prepare a business Plan or fill a Business Plan questionnaire based on size of project and amount requested.
Collaborative Credit schemes with Municipal and District Assemblies
- Loan Amount: Project based
- Repayment period: Usually 1 year
- Moratorium: 1-2 Months
- Interest Rate: usually at the discretion of stakeholders